The Climate and Health Innovation Award recognizes a hospital or health system for innovative work that addresses the health and equity impacts of climate change. The work can be a project, program, or process related to:
- reducing the hospital or supply chain carbon footprint,
- improving facility infrastructure or strengthening community climate resilience,
- or a communications, advocacy, or education initiative.
The Health Care Climate Council is looking for innovative approaches for reducing carbon emissions and/or improving climate resilience. Judges from the council will consider an applicant’s overall work on climate, but the focus of this award is to identify “out-of-the-box” approaches that could help the sector move forward in ways that have not yet been widely deployed. For example, a project may have a relatively small numerical impact on carbon emissions but a big impact on community engagement, or a project may employ a new technology or business model and have a large numerical impact.
The winner will be recognized at CleanMed and and will be considered for membership in the Health Care Climate Council..
- Must be a Practice Greenhealth member.
- Must complete the climate section of the 2022 Environmental Excellence Awards application.
- The activity must have been initiated in the prior two years.
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Demonstration of innovation and benefit of activity.
- Measurable results or actions (e.g. reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, number of employees doing activity).
- Ability to be replicated by others, including commitment by the hospital to share lessons learned.